St. Paul’s is one of the two churches merged to form Faith church. St. Paul’s history dates back to 1844. The first church was a log house and the first members were Lorenz Guth, who donated the land, Peter Guenther, George Kroehler, Philip Lehner, John Albrecht, and Philip Kurtz. In 1874 a new church building was erected for $1650. The building was located on Fond du Lac Drive, south of Ackerville. The new church building was across the road from the cemetery, which is now referred to as the Ackerville Cemetery.
The portion of our church sanctuary that contains the six stained glass windows with the emblems near the top is this 1874 structure. These same windows contain the names of families who donated each window. The altar was purchased in 1899 and is the altar still used in the lower fellowship hall. The stained glass circle window of Jesus in the garden which we view as we leave the sanctuary was above the altar in the St. Paul’s church. The window was purchased by the young people’s group of the church. The interior of the church was painted tin. A piece of this tin was recovered during the elevator renovation, was painted with the Ten Commandments, and now hangs in the elevator area.
Upon entering St. Paul’s, you could take the stairs to the balcony or proceed through swinging doors to enter the sanctuary. The balcony also had the church organ. There was no basement in this church. It was heated with a wood/coal furnace. The furnace room was a lean-to near the front of the church. There was no parking lot at the church; people would park their cars on the grass around the building.
As far back as the 1860’s, records indicate St. Paul’s and St. John’s shared a pastor. The minister’s salary back in 1864 was $79.24.
In 1880 the members voted 12-9 to join the Evangelical Synod. At that time only the men were considered members of the church.
In 1902 the parsonage was constructed. It still stands on Fond du Lac Drive near the location where the St. Paul’s church building stood. Members remember having confirmation class at the parsonage. The Leroy Herther family purchased the parsonage prior to the church building move.
When the St. Paul’s congregation would celebrate Mission Fest the Monday after Pentecost, they would have their dinner at Schuck’s in Ackerville. In the fall of the year, the church would celebrate Harvest Fest and members would bring in produce and canned goods which then would be taken to Deaconess Hospital in Milwaukee.
Before the members of St. Paul’s congregation decided to merge with St. John’s to form Faith, they were exploring options on how to expand their church building and add a basement. Sunday school classes had to meet in different pews of the church with the oldest class going in the balcony. There was no running water at the church.
The final service held at the St. Paul’s church, before it was moved, was a Lenten Service on the evening of February 23, 1961. Members of the congregation had already started removing the brick from the exterior in preparation for the move.