Faith UCC was formed in 1961 when two small churches with Evangelical & Reformed background merged not only their congregations but also their buildings. In 1961, these two small churches were sharing a pastor and holding services in their respective churches on alternate Sundays.
St. Paul’s church was founded in 1844 and in 1874 a new church building was built for $1,650 on the new road just south of Ackerville. St. John’s church was founded in 1852 with a brick structure being erected in 1894 on the corner of Hwy E and Slinger Road.
Both congregations had special needs in 1961. St. Paul’s wanted to enlarge their structure, but the building was located too close tot he road. St. John’s wanted to enlarge their worship area and expand their fellowship area. The two congregations were already sharing a minister so each voted to combine their buildings and form Faith United Church of Christ. The bricks were removed form St. Paul’s and the structure was moved 4 miles to the site of St. John’s. The cost of the move was $1,875. The building was moved across a farm field to avoid moving the structure over the railroad tracks. When a February snowstorm swooped in, the move was halted and the church structure sat in the middle of the farm field for over a week.
On June 11, 1961, the three oldest members from the congregation, John Kurtz, Fred Endres Sr., and Christ Melius, participated in the groundbreaking ceremonies. Work now began to combine the two structures into one building with the project being completed the following May. Services were held at the site each Sunday during the construction and no members were lost during the merger; all the members from St. John’s and St. Paul’s continued on as members of Faith.
The interiors of the two church buildings remained intact until 1969 when the interior was renovated and new entrance was added the present sanctuary was created. Two men instrumental in the merger of the two congregations died in separate tragic accidents. The altar, pulpit, and lectern were given as a memorial to Robert Pickhard and the cross as a memorial to Fred Endres.
New pews were purchased in 1983. Prior to that, a combination of pews from the two churches plus some purchased used pews were used.
The congregation’s desire to have a handicapped accessible building became a reality in 2002 with the completion o another addition containing the elevator. On May 29, 2001, ground was broke for this addition. The elevator arrived on December 6, 2001 and the first use of the elevator was on Maundy Thursday, April 28, 2002.